Blogging Babes: Brittany's Notebook

Jul 6, 2013

 photo brittany_zps95ffe6df.jpg
Doesn't this look like the cover of some catalog? Ri-diculous. And that just about sums up Brittany's Notebook.

Meet Brittany, a blogger that talks frankly about being a mom of two (who would ever know it was that hilarious and hard all at once?), snaps immaculately put-together style shots (again, a mother of two), and she's a photographer to boot (mesmerizing you by the most every-day shots turned beautiful by her eye.) I know that by the end of this you'll be trying to convince her to become your best friend like I've been for the past year. I'm ready for the competition. Let's get crackin'.

 photo brittany4_zps68739758.jpg  photo brittany1_zpsde40f52c.jpg
You're a mom of two boys and a total babe. The "babe" part has nothing to do with my question but I just thought I'd throw it out there. But back to the boys- I know that this summer you're especially trying to make an effort to give them "sunshine in my eyes, popsicle juice on my hands" type of happy experiences. What has been your favorite memory so far?

Thanks Marlen, I love you ;)

Summer is so tough, especially with two kiddos who swim like a bag of rocks. A few weeks back, Jay (the hubs) called me on his way home from work and told me the boys needed a slip n' slide. I agreed and told the boys. The anticipation nearly killed them. As soon as he got home, we buckled up, rushed to the store, and bought a cart load of yummy food and a slip-n-slide for the boys. When we got home we called up some friends and had a big BBQ feast that night. It was really so simple, but my kids get overly excited about family activities like this. They love it when we come up with fun things to do as a family. It has really taught me a lot about finding joy in the simplest of things and just spending time together making memories.

 photo brittany3_zps895d9eac.jpg
Now back to the babe part. You live in Arizona and have to endure frying pan type of weather on the daily. I'm total crap at helping my southerners out in the "summer layers" section, so what are some of your go-to outfits?

Sundresses!!! I am a big fan of dresses for the summer. I have a striped shift dress from Madewell I wear almost daily. I love that I can dress it down with my Salt Water sandals, or throw on a fancy pair of wedges for something a bit more formal. The midi trend is one of my favorites, and ASOS has the best selection of midi-dresses (and skirts!). I also love a good vintage Mexican Embroidered dress. I have been searching high and low on Etsy for the perfect one. I am crossing my fingers, but no luck yet. 

When I know I have an active day, I always find myself in a pair of cut-off shorts and an oversized tee. Eventually I'd love to get a pair of denim overalls though. Those are the epitome of perfection on my book! 

As for accessories, I love baseball caps, wooded wedges, leather cross-body bags, and vintage-inspired sunglasses. Not that I would wear them all together. I don't layer much with it being so hot, but I don't think you could go wrong having a crocheted vest in your wardrobe.

 photo brittany2_zpsee8fb2e4.jpg
When you're not being a blogger and a momma, you're a full-time photographer! What has been your most memorable shoot to date?

There is one photo-shoot I will never forget. I was photographing an older couple and their children. They were a dear family friend, and the mom had previously been diagnosed with breast cancer. She was such a gracious lady. When I photographed a few pictures of just her and her husband, they were so fun and so giddy. It was amazing to see what 30+ years of marriage can do for a relationship when two people are so completely devoted to each other and their family. Their love was so genuine and deep. I remember thinking how much I hoped my own relationship would continue to grow and develop just as their's had. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. This could possibly some of their very last pictures together. It was a couple I had looked up to so much, and I was starting to get a glimpse of the pain this family had endured as their sweet mother battled with cancer. One thing I love about being a photographer is getting to be a part of the most special and sacred moments in other's lives. And it was another realization that usually the most special moments can be the most simple. I am happy to say that this sweet mother is in remission! I really just hate cancer. It is such a nasty thing.

 photo brittany5_zps9b145781.jpg

Now here's your chance to brag a little. Your boys make frequent appearances on the blog, and I swear they look like twins half the time, haha. How would you say your little guys' personalities differ, and which one's the boss. (I'm purely asking the last part because I'm the oldest and I was a total tyrant back in my heyday.)


This is so funny, because I think they look so different! They are both sassy and bossy though. Will is a total brain. He loves to read and learn and he says the funniest things. He talks like an adult half the time and says word I never knew could be in a four-year-old's vocabulary. He is really chill and stays out of trouble for the most part. Dallas on the other hand loves to destroy. Will never cried or got into anything he shouldn't so we never saw Dallas coming. I remember one time he opened a bottle of children's tylenol ("child-proof" does not exist!). When I grabbed it away from him I noticed that the bottle was half gone. I dialed poison control and as I was trying to explain what was going on to the operator, Dallas grabbed a little piece of craft foam and put it in his mouth. The next thing I knew he was choking. So here I was doing the heimlich and trying to talk to poison control. I thought child services was going to be called for sure. But that is just Dallas. He causes a problem, and as I am going on to fix it he makes another one. I am constantly on my toes with this kid. But he's cute, so I guess I'll keep him around.

And p.s. As I am typing this, Dallas pours a glass of water all over my kitchen floor. go figure.

Haha, and that is Brittany! Make sure you go visit her BLOG and be thoroughly entertained some more!

PS- Don't forget to enter my TWO giveaways to  Rust Belt Threads and Adelaide's! Enter both HERE and HERE. I mean, only if you're into free dresses. 

______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

   BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

7 comments :

  1. What a cool babe and blog, thanks for introducing it to us :)!
    Oh, I forgot to mention: your surname (Komar) means mosquito in Slovene language :D!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting! I'll definitely check out her blog.
    http://haveyoueverfalleninlove.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun blogger. I've enjoyed this series both getting to see new bloggers and find out more about those I already follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw marlen! I love you! Thanks so much for the feature! And no worries, we'll be best blogging buddies forever;) And I never told you, but I LOVE your pixie cut! I am obsessed with Pixie cuts and you pull it off well!!! Love you bunches!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. I got distracted by the striped back though, I'm a sucker for black and white anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. u look great :)

    http://thevogueword.com/
    http://thevogueword.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>