Lost in Drawers

Jun 17, 2013

 photo 09261529-1f0c-4356-9401-3c6251b19c00_zpsb7a42f27.jpg photo c3aa8573-ea00-4808-baf3-643e8fe17299_zps9551a9e6.jpg photo JuneBlog084_zps26e721b6.jpg photo JuneBlog072_zps115b659c.jpg
Sooo a little bit of confusion! I'm actually not on the road, I'm already in Seattle (thankfully). I'm just recounting the Oregon Trail-esque road trip I had to take to move from Chicago to here because it was rather eventful. But a big thank ya nevertheless for all the "STAY STRONG GIRL, STAY STRONG"s I got from you ;)

And speaking of Seattle, here are some neighborhood shots that I thought were extra charming.
 photo JuneBlog093_zps463b73c6.jpg photo 5c3103bf-8a3e-4f4a-b3ec-6f35c56d16d3_zpsc818b30d.jpg photo 7b33ccc3-e75a-4d21-97fa-7a75bef73205_zps3dec905f.jpg photo ed8eb448-8445-47d2-a34a-2403abef8e3e_zps298fcb9a.jpg photo JuneBlog104_zpsf25e5149.jpg photo JuneBlog076_zpsc1691b59.jpg
Also, let's talk about my outfit. This pretty, rose number was gifted to me (and on my birthday at that!) by the sweet husband & wife duo of Lost in Drawers. They have a store of vintage dresses that range from $20-$30, and its brimming with sailor collars, floral patterns, and casual and date dresses alike.

But seeing how I'm really, really tall, most dresses end up looking like ice skater outfits on my frame (boo!) and I'm forced to whip up clever layering to not moon people as I walk. This time around I took an idea from Hannah of The Braided Bandit and layered a longer dress under a shorter one. You know how obsessed with chambray tops I am, so I decided to put that love on steroids and went with a chambray dress. I love how it turned out! Whadya think? Would you ever try that?
 photo 7f09de89-a267-4f0d-ae4b-10d01b41fd4f_zps9ce193aa.jpg photo 5f76efb5-c77b-4f79-aee8-204c3c4b6fc7_zpsd0ef27f0.jpg photo JuneBlog097_zps67013f26.jpg photo JuneBlog089_zps0d04d48c.jpg

Dress- c/o Lost in Drawers
Jacket- H&M (old)
Purse- UO
Chambray dress- from my shop, Bear and Twine
Ribbon- randomly found in a junk drawer (lolz)
Sandals- H&M (old)

PS- don't forget to follow along on Facebook!

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

38 comments :

  1. I did the dress-on-dress layering! And welcome to Seattle, isn't the weather lovely today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable ensemble - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute outfit x Thanks for stopping my blog x

    Cat

    dropsoffashionthread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit very much! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color combination in your outfit! Layering is always so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the hunt for a jacket just like yours! It's so hard to find the right one. Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad those sandals are old! Love em! I also love that jackek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new city looks so fun and interesting! I'm also loving the way you layer up your outfits, but I've always loved that. I'm always scared to, I have no idea why. I'm just not good at it :/

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice layering idea! I like the bow at the collar too.
    xoxo Aimee
    bowsandbeau-ties.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. NEVER would have thought to layer like that, but really like it one you, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay I'm glad you made it to Seattle okay! It looks so cute there. One of my good friends is from Seattle and always says such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never thought to but seeing on you I may very well consider it! Though I doubt I'd pull it off hehehe!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my bad! For your first post I assumed you were post road trip, but then I got confused. You look slammin tho!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look crazy awesome in bangs, Layer Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a really cute dress - love the way you styled it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome outfit! You are rocking it!
    Thanks for your comment :)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these photos Marlen. Rum will help. It most certainly will.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you look so wonderful, really love how you layered dresses, looks soo cool! <333 Would definitely try it were I taller but I have the opposite problem - dresses are always too long for me! ^^

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots, and love your solution for the dress!
    Simona
    www.lakenmoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look so precious :)!! I love layering and also I have that 'jacket' but because I'm so short it looks like a coat :/, hahaa :)

    Thank you for commenting on my blog - I only just got it today when I turned off google+ commenting :)

    Also my auntie has just given me her and her sisters old wardrobe - I have to sell lots of it because I sadly don't fit in their old clothes but there are a few items that just remind me of you :). Would you recommend Ebay or Etsy - (for selling them)?

    Maria Adams :)
    Style of Sorts

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice blog, your outfit is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your outfit is so cute and inventive, love it!

    Also, the pictures are so nice, it's always so intriguing to peek into places across the world while sitting on your own bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I dig the layering of the dresses :) Delightful photographs of the neighborhood.

    Cheers and thanks a bunch for visiting! :)

    ▲_▲ HYENA

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorable!!!!
    PS - Swing by my blog today - you're in my post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute! I, too, am really tall, and I love this idea for extending the length of dresses - can't wait to try it! Great pix of Seattle, too; one of my favorite places. :) (Now following!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the new layout and the pretty florals! oh and i need to stuff my belly full of turkish delight and hot dogs now... except i do not actually need to do that at all, but i want to.

    <3becky
    www.loosefromthezoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Question: how tall are you? I have the same problem with dresses fitting right sometimes and I know how it suuuucks! I'm not super tall, like only 5'7 or 5'8, but it's so hard when dresses are too short and then you size up and they just get wider. I guess I should get myself some sewing skills like you, huh? haha.

    But anyway, wowow, I never even considered the idea of dress layering! It looks so good on you. I'm afraid I'd end up looking like a lump o' clothes. However, I have stuck fitted tops under dresses baring too much above for funsies.

    Also that cupcake sounds rad and I want to try it. Or at least look at it. I bet it's all pretty and rainbow-y.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would have NEVER thought of that. You totally pull it off. The bow time takes it to another level! SO CUTE! I will most certainly have to check out that vintage store.
    xo
    ashley
    www.thephotogramps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. can I please steal this outfit from these pictures and put it on myself for the rest of the summer? p.s ice skater outfits made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love these photographs, and your dress is so pretty! :)

    www.ciderwithrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. haha blog miscommunications. awesome because they are so funny and happen so easily. I've never seen a dress layered over a dress, only a skirt with a skirt. I like it. also it's creative, which can be hard to do in this blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Adorable dress! I need to visit this place, I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Haha another layering trick to add to your book! I love it :)
    Your chambray touch is perfect with this shorter dress

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a great layered look, you're a genius when it comes to layering i swear. This denim dress looks wonderful with the pretty floral one over top!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am obsessed with this look. I need a collared denim dress to layer under everything now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dress on dress layering! You seriously are the best layer-er in the land.
    Also I want a gay cupcake. And rum.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>