Layered Like an Onion

Jun 27, 2013

 photo JuneBlog295_zps2544358f.jpg
Step One: For today's layering outfit, I'm going to show you a fun way to revamp your summer dresses. This one in particular is the Picnic in the Park dress from August Wrinkle (and it's on saaaale!), in case you were wondering. So, pop on your own summer dress and let's begin!
 photo JuneBlog302_zpsd076a3e9.jpg
Step Two: This time around, instead of layering a collared blouse under the dress, I popped it on top and tied it at the waist, turning the dress into a high-waisted skirt. 
 photo JuneBlog314_zpsa0bc2032.jpg
Step Three: Then, to add some interest to the look, I added a vest on top of the combo. A jean vest works really well too, but I've recently been abusing that article of clothing in (almost literally) all of my looks, haha. 
 photo JuneBlog284_zpsf913fff0.jpg
Step Four: And lastly, to add some glitz and pizzazz to the casual look, I added in some chandelier, evening type of earrings. Recently, this has been one of my favorite accessories to play with in my outfits. I think that the over-the-top glamour of those type of earrings adds a really fun contrast to a casual outfit. 

And there you go! A summer outfit that's layered, but in a way that won't spin you into a case of heat stroke. Hope you liked it :)

Dress- Picnic in the Park dress from August Wrinkle
Shirt- UO
Shoes- UO
Vest- Old Navy
______________________________________
             Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

                BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!  ______________________________________

28 comments :

  1. I am really liking these layered posts Marlen! This is a perfect way to layer up a summer dress :)
    Also, your shorter hair is growing on me (hehe, that was an unintentional pun..hehehe)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress. And you layered it like a pro, duh. Please tell me this haircut is growing on you, it looks so good!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute outfit, I do love the 1 pic, perfect for my really hot weather at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous outfit! Sooo handy tips, that's what I need right now what with confusing British weather x

    The Young Bridget Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dress, and I'm so surprised of how well it looks layered like this, you're so creative , I gotta admit this styling would have never crossed my mind!

    Have an amazing week,
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE! Seriously loving the layering as per usual but even more your hair! Its fab!
    Much love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks fabulous! such a great idea to rewear summer dresses and reinvent them

    Little Blue Backpack 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comment!

    This was genius layering. I'm already thinking of shirts to layer over a dress and under my denim vest... Hmmm... The possibilities... xx

    http://thecurvygirlinthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look GREAT! I love your hair.... So cute. =] I love how you styled it.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohmyword. I didn't even think it was possible but you are even cuter than before! LOVE your haircut. Way to rock that thing.

    Also I love these steps. I am definitely going to try this :)

    http://aforcethatcanshaketheworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair looks fantastic!

    I love the whole "put a vest on it" layering technique. I need more vests in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get over how beautiful you look with your new hair! Now excuse me while I contemplate cutting all mine off! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! Are you getting used to your hair yet? It's so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I really like layering as well. Especially with playsuits. They can be shorts, tops and playsuits! Awesome!

    XX Red Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! I'm so terrible at layering. I probably would have stopped at step one. Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh yeah, check out those complementary colors! Orange and green, yehawwww! I meant to type "yeah" but "yehaw" came out, so we're just gonna go with it.

    I never thought of tying a top over a dress. I want to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. SOOO digging your hair still! I remember when I had my pixie I wore dresses all the time to try and girly it up. I always love how well you layer things.

    <3becky
    www.loosefromthezoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Master of layering, seriously :)! And I'm loving your new hair, it totally suits you :).

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cool, you have the most amazing ideas and sense of style! I'm so going to try it out! Thanks so much! ^^ I LOVED it!

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the giant earrings with your short hair cut! I always feel like wearing big earrings when my hair is pulled back, so I guess it's kind of the same concept in my brain.
    Also the layering here is fantastic, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love layers so much but they are so hard in the PHX summer. I love how you totally changed the look of this dress AND your hair looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your layered like an onion posts are really fun :) I like this outfit especially! This must be the fabled cargo vest that made all bloggers go crazy! It adds something extra to the shirt over dress combo (which I am so so guilty of, all the time!). I also adore the earrings with it. I am totally a fan of a little added glam at all times! I've been looking for some diamond duds like those, where are they from??

    Also, your hair! (sorry I'm a bit behind) It looks fantastic! Moreso I'm impressed that you went for it! I think it really highlights your face. You look especially glowy!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gotta say it again: I love, love, LOVE your hair. It brings out your gorgeous features so beautifully!
    And I want that dress. And that shirt. So cute. I love your Layered like an Onion posts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun to really see how you achieve such fun layering techniques. Also- LOVING your hair here.

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>