Layered Like an Onion, Part I

Jun 20, 2013

 photo f3a7948d-e901-4cb0-908c-0f265b556623_zps8b6f4ec2.jpg
One of my favorite things about stalking other style blogs (yes not reading, but stalking) is the inspiration some of the posts give me to whip up a truly interesting outfit. I appreciate a pretty dress that stands alone and a close up of a quirky flat, but every now and then I come across something that makes me want to drop what I'm doing and go really play in my closet. 

A new layering idea I haven't thought of, a pattern combo that's out of my comfort zone and absolutely perfect, a hair tutorial that changes the look completely, or an article of clothing I used to scoff at and now I see in a totally new light. With this blog of mine that's what I hope to give each one of you, and so I whipped up this new idea for a series. 

Welcome to Layered Like an Onion, where we'll layer an outfit step by step and hopefully inspire you to try the same. So let's begin :)
 photo layer1_zpsde9198f0.jpg
First I took the Vintage 1970's Gallery Dress from my store and added some wooden sandals to bring out the black splatters.
 photo layer2_zps412c1de1.jpg
Second, I layered a chambray shirt underneath the dress, creating some interest with the collar and bringing out some of the blue with the jean material.  photo layer_zps3effaef7.jpg
And lastly, while you know I'm a fan of layering shirts under dresses, I'm an even a bigger fan of layering shirts on top of them! This only works if the shirt in question has very thick straps so it can mimic a vest type of effect.  The top I chose was a beaded French Connection one, and I liked that it was black so it would blend with the color scheme of the dress, and that the leaf pattern on the top had a similar flow to the splatters.  After, I cinched it with a belt to pull it together, and I'm done!

What do ya think? Do you have any favorite layering tricks?

Dress- for sale in my store HERE!
Top- French Connection
Shoes- UO (recent!)

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

35 comments :

  1. Very cute! This definitely makes me want to go play in my closet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I still need to master the art of layering :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. clever clever! but you're sharing all your secrets here now I'll be copying all your adorable layering secrets! ok actually i wont because i'm lazy/it's hot/i find layering tricky but you can bet this weekend I will peek into my closet for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you layered a collared shirt underneath a dress with no collar! Great! But oh man, I can't even think about layering in this heat!
    Excited to see other ways you layer in this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love it! The contrasting patterns are so intriguing, and a collar is always a must. I'm gonna love this series so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the coolest idea ever!! Loving this new feature and I am so excited to see future posts!

    Girl, you are a layering queen! I'm so impressed with your ability to layer and make it look so effortlessly cool and chic. This definitely looks like something that jumped straight out of the pages of Vogue!

    I'm so glad you visited Pike Place and enjoyed it! As I said, It's one of my favorite places to go and visit, especially on a warm, sunshiny day! Another of my favorite things? Going to the zoo! There are a few zoo's around, Point Defiance and Woodland Park. If you are in to zoo's and looking for something to do on a summer day, I definitely recommend visiting:)


    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this new feature! Gosh I am so behind and missing my normal blog stalking activities, but I hope you are loving your new place and are settling in nicely! I am going to have to try this technique out! I am borrowing a kitty print dress from erica, and thought about layering tank with a picture of a cat over it for full crazy cat lady overload, but I'm not sure how it would look bc the straps aren't thick like this! Anyway, thanks for always being a great bloggy friend and constant style inspiration!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. you mix patterns in a very cool way! I always love it! sandals are very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love getting into your head!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, super excited for this!!!! Its too hot to layer anything over here...but I'll be practicing for cooler days...if they would just come sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think it was possible........


    But I just fell more in love with your blog.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  12. You, my dear, are the patron-saint of patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! Love how you showed the layering steps!

    Colour Me Classic

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your outfit! It's very pretty :)
    I love layering but for this time of the year I'm so ready to wear lighter clothes.. although the weather doesn't agree over here :(

    By the way, I think your profile picture in your sidebar is gorgeous (your hair!!! eeek) and I like how it kind of "looks down" to your posts :D

    Have a great day!
    Valérie ♥ scribblesofvalerie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I won't lie, I did a bit of a double take when I scrolled to that last picture. Those prints! How do you make them work?? Haha, you are so creative Marlen, this new series is perfect. Can't wait for your next one already! :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! These series of posts are going to be inspiring for sure. I can't wait for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of you taking pictures of each layering step :D
    I'm not sure how I feel about you stalking blogs.... but either way I like your blog anyways :D I'm following you now! you are most welcome to follow me back hoho

    http://snippitydoodah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this is soo cool! <333 Awesome layering tips my lovely, really original and inspiring! Thank you for sharing, can't wait to see party 2 ^^

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whaaat! This is such a cool blog segment thing. I really dig, so please keep it up! I seriously love how flawless your pattern mixing it. You always make it so cool and blasé~ fancy lady!

    So yeah, I love. :D I've recently started layering some tops under dresses, but now it's way too hot for me to do much layering. I also love layering socks and tights!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooh i like it...you dont see a lot of this kind of layering but i dig it

    ReplyDelete
  21. i like the shirt underneath bc it does lend a different edge to the shrit bc normally i only see it with a belt! i think it's really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah! So great!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I appreciate it! You have a great blog and I will definitely be a regular reader!

    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow you are just so creative! oh onions... not to be used as a full bite but perfect to flavor any part of your life!:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. cool layering!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, after scrolling through your page, I must say you have great style! I'm pretty boring with my everything is a solid color wardrobe. I feel inspired to buy some print pieces !

    ReplyDelete
  26. THIS POST IS SO GREAT!!!!!!!!
    believe me..you've really inspired me! :))
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! Like it how you do that in different steps

    ReplyDelete
  28. You do the best layering. Always makes me want to go and figure out what things I can layer in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my god how amazing is that print on your dress! that outfit is layering perfection darling!
    kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea - is this going to be a regular post?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ah, I love this! I've always been impressed with your layering skills (so many interesting fabrics and prints that you don't expect to go together, but totally do!), so this is super helpful. Can't wait for future installments! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for your comment!

    Great layering tips! Belting my waist is an important part of my layering process :) xx

    http://thecurvygirlinthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>