It's a Ball Gown Type of Tuesday

Jun 18, 2013


 photo 7159db91-d821-4094-9bdd-ab1706aad265_zpsa885e263.jpg photo JuneBlog095_zpscf1b6da7.jpg
So Marc is singing limericks at the top of his lungs this morning (don't ask) so I can't concentrate hard enough to write write something. Therefore, instead I'm just going to talk shop.

Specifically, gown...shop. Like I said, can't concentrate. Anyways, you know how you have all those fancy dresses at the back of your closet that are earmarked for weddings and fancy, sweeping affairs? Well pull 'em out- it's time to dust them off and give them a spin around town!

This tie-dyed little number was a gown I wore to a wedding a year back, and I find that anytime you pop a jean vest over something it instantly turns casual. So that's exactly what I did, and got  away with dressing up like a princess for the day without getting strange side-glances from strangers.
 photo JuneBlog015_zps0923866b.jpg photo e06f019a-94fb-4250-9b74-dca679e755a3_zps6528a193.jpg
 photo JuneBlog022_zps7c44cb86.jpg
 photo JuneBlog029_zpsd7eececa.jpg
Note: This will not  work with cupcake prom dresses. I'm just gonna put that out there so tomorrow I don't get furious comments on how you got cherry slushies thrown at you because of your confused attire.

Side note: If you got that slushie reference we're instant friends, and expect a handwoven friendship bracelet in the next 2-3 business days ;)
 photo 033b6f20-2ae9-4aad-a351-9d2ea2ca14fa_zps6210eba6.jpg photo 6c2b47c8-2d5d-415b-a0fa-d181fb016569_zpsb4825fcd.jpg photo JuneBlog047_zps7bbbcc9c.jpg photo JuneBlog050_zpsc3057fc6.jpg photo 557e6ad6-aab0-4992-bfb1-d52564c8de91_zps98d43884.jpg
 photo JuneBlog033_zps33b547be.jpg photo JuneBlog041_zps770d2a0d.jpg
You know who else is a pro at the whole nonchalant-gown-wearing business? Linda from Trendy Teal and Ali from The Drawing Mannequin. In case you need more inspiration ;)

Dress- Zaras (horrible story: I bought it for $100 and THE NEXT DAY it was on sale for $50. The tears I've shed.)
Vest- AE
Purse- H&M

PS- don't forget to follow along on Facebook!

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

34 comments :

  1. Stop it!! This is my favorite dress by far!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is absolutely amazing!!! I love it so much, and it looks amazing with the denim vest, I think I am definitely going to have to try this combination.
    Great photos!!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, totally! Denim = casual. Doesn't matter what you add it too, it always works it's magic. This gorgeous gown looks like a glamorous, boho dress for a day out around town. Perfect! I can't tell you how much I love the tie dye print.
    Slushies? All I can think of is Glee haha.
    D'aw, and I got a shout out? I now feel the urge to dust off a gown or two and wear it about town ;)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your pics from your amazing trips ;)

    xx
    Christina Klein
    http://bychristina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea on how to make it more casual! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! you look amazing in this dress! I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing dress, dear! love the post
    i'm following you now, follow me back please if you like my blog, i'd be so glad) xoxo

    http://yuliasi.blogspot.ru/
    love, Yulia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, denim vests are somewhat magical that way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is so pretty! You should definitely break it out of your closet more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know all the sites in these photos! Yay!

    And denim vest over formal dress = genius. Now I feel totally validated to buy that cropped denim vest I've been wanting from American Apparel.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Imma hafta remember that tip!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally do this too but I don't have a denim vest so I use a chambray shirt as a jacket. Love this look and that purse is makes it even better : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moley you are gorgeous. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! Your pictures are GREATTT, esp the one of the musician. You're right, that vest did casual this number down a lot...hmm I wonder if I have anything I could casual down like this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is just perfect - I may have to get a jean vest now to causal some of my dresses down.

    P.S. I totes got that slushie reference. :P

    xoxo,
    Laura

    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marlen, this is so gorgeous! I have a long chiffon bridesmaid dress that I've only worn once that could definitely be made day-time appropriate with a denim vest. What a fabulous idea! Love the flat sandals, too. And you're right, a cupcake prom dress would get you more cherry slushies in the face than the New Directions! ;)

    xo
    Julia
    onceuponablogbyjulia.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is a beautiful outfit, I love the dress with that purse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHAT. Holy crap Marlen, this dress is beautiful! I can't believe how effortlessly casual you made it, like it's no big deal. Serious dress envy going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh, you are beautiful! Lovely dress too x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cool idea my dear, really love how you styled a wedding dress into a casual outfit - you're definitely right, works brilliantly!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant idea my dear, love how you styled a normally-fit-foroccasion dress into a casual outfit - looks amazing! So cool, thank you so muxh for sharing!

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so right, it really makes the outfit casual. Then again I absolutely imagine this dress with high heels, a little bolero ... amazing :)

    Much love,
    Www.zerxzastyle.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/zerxza

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you dress down the outfit with the vest! It's perfect. The dress looks soooo comfortable too! Definitely my kind of thing!

    Amanda @ Running In Heels
    amandarollo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful look! And yes indeed, throwing a jeans vest over makes this gorgeous dress casual, you pull it off so well!

    XO Imke

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing photos! I love your outfit :)

    XOXO
    http://fashion-mask.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a genius idea! I definitely want to copy this and go pull out my jean vest...I really love the dress too-the gray and charcoal colors are so pretty. And can I just say again how much I adore those sandals? They are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm in love with this post!! What a brilliant idea dressing down the dress!! You look fabulouse!
    I'm all about that little flower stand and that sweet puppy! I would've taken him home I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That dress is so pretty, you look great.
    And I love your denim vest. I really want one, too,
    you can wear them with so many things. ;)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this dress! I've been looking for cute maxi dresses for the past couple of weeks and I've had no luck :/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ugh, that very same thing has happened to me as well. I literally wanted to cry. But on to you, these pictures seriously took my breath away. I think you should wear this dress everyday! I love how you dressed it down too. I have a serious crush on this outfit, Marlen!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha! I laughed out loud at the cherry slushy comment.
    I think I have the perfect dress to try this look with....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ah!! I couldn't agree more about adding a jean vest to a dress.....it really dresses down an outfit...but it completes it!

    And I love picture of that older man with the fresh flowers just on the street. Reminds me of a main street in my city!

    <3 Kelly | The Patch Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look lovely, Marlen! It's such a great idea to make those ultra-fancy dresses more fancy by pairing them with a more causal jacket or fest. The denim is great here and my favourite is to toss a leather bomber jacket over top (during the cooler months); really makes dressier pieces more versatile! And loving your shots from around the city; so colourful and fun :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>