Black and White

Jun 4, 2013

 photo JuneBlog207_zpsffba58d0.jpg  photo JuneBlog204_zpsbf8b2fa7.jpg
I don't think I've ever worn an outfit before that made me look like I was stuck in a black and white movie, but I LIKE it! If you scroll through my posts you usually see a borderline abrasive explosion of color, but when I received this dress from Marisa of The Shades of Monet Chronicles, I instantly knew I didn't want to mess with that monochromatic thang it's got going on.

So instead I went with my second love and piled on the patterns. One of my favorite things to do with dresses is to layer on a thick-strapped tank over them to give them some dimension, and I think the spaced-out polka dots look really fun against the tight checkers of the dress. This particular top is for sale in my store, Bear and Twine, and you can find it HERE. And can we talk about the details of this dress? Just check out the rigid collar and the flared sleeves. Le swoon.
 photo JuneBlog224_zps9d414ac2.jpg  photo JuneBlog228_zpsbc6773cb.jpg  photo JuneBlog198_zps8db57673.jpg

So how's everyone's week going? I still don't have internet so I'm forced to shlep around Queen Anne hunting for coffee shops, and setting up camp at their bistro sized tables for hours. Not that I'm, you know, complaining ;)

Dress- borrowed from Marisa of The Shades of Monet Chronicles
Polka Dot top- for sale in my store, HERE
Vest- American Eagle
Sandals- H&M (old)

PS- Don't forget to follow along on Facebook so we can become even tighter!

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

23 comments :

  1. Lovely Outfit, I love the denim-top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the hints of green peeking out from the sleeves and especially the bow-tie. I love what you did with the polka dot tank. It really does add a totally different look and totally works!
    x
    Jen
    www.fashionablyfestive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes..I remember the days of setting up shops for hours and hours..lol. And I love the cuffs of that shirt...Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is so cute! I love the pops of turquoise in it. The tank top really takes this outfit to the next level. Love it!
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look SO cute! Love your fringe too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought to pair those two patterns together but they are a bit memorizing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shoes! What I can see of them anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, setting up camp in coffee shops and people-watching while laptop-ing it out is actually pretty fun. I remember when our internet was out for 3 days and I kind of enjoyed going out and just lingering wherever I could... so I'm glad it's not TOO terribly awful for you. ;)

    This outfit, whoa! That polka dot pattern is so neat... the dots are actually lined up, which you never see, but which is awesome. And the mint is the perfect detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I am currently without internet as well, so I'm schlepping around the college campus and stealing their wifi. Thankfully not too many others are doing the same, so its fast internet!
    I'm loving this monochrome thing Marlen, and your awesome print mixing skills come to life once again :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is beautiful! I love the cuffs and the collar and that bow, my goodness. And I love that shirt! It's really cute. I'll also definitely have to check out Hype Machine. (Also, to answer the question you asked on my post, I moved between dorm buildings, just about a quarter of a mile and a lot of stairs, but I've had to move a few other times (into my old dorm, moving houses, etc). It definitely is stressful, but once you've done it a few times, it's much easier and much less stressful, because you know better how to prep for it and how to deal with it afterwards). My week's fine, just the usual work and straining to find people that aren't busy to hang out with (and trying to keep up with everything). At least you're having fun finding places to get your internet!

    Have a lovely week!
    xo
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely in love with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome as always <3

    xx
    Christina Klein
    http://bychristina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super retro ensemble! I get internet web withdrawals needing my daily fix, at least you'll get some good coffee whilst at the bistro's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice colour scheme, love the touches of turquoise at your throat and wrists :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this look! I've been having a lot of fun with pattern mixing lately. The teal details on that dress are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Polka dots with checks! I love it, it clashes just the right amount :)

    Charlotte Adele

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice :)
    http://metinearbata.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you for the comment you left on my blog <3
    you are the layering queen <3 x

    iampolkadots.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, that dress is just so pretty!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This might be my favorite outfit you've put together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a different take on styling this dress and I love it! You always know how to pile on the patterns and look completely cool without overdoing it. Always an inspiration Marlen! xo Marisa

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>