Varanasi, India Part I

May 2, 2013

 photo indiav411_zps68f1f180.jpg



 photo indiav401_zps119fb699.jpg photo indiav332_zps8f952c20.jpg photo indiav337_zpsdcb1957f.jpg
Varanasi has a certain…spirit to it, for a lack of a better word. It sits thick in the air like frizzy humidity, heavily blanketing the whole place. The spirit is made out of this weird calmness; where you still have the typical bellowing of prices, hustling of fanny packs, hawking of loogies, and nerves being frayed… but you can also feel the strangely settled peace inside the people you meet eyes with and pass by. People from all over the world come here to walk the ghats that lead into the Ganges River in old sandals, and to learn from the naked Sadhus (Holy Men) that live in tarp tents along it, trying to find out the Rubik’s Cube of a secret of how to let go of this antsy world and find peace inside themselves.

Me though, I’ve never really carried much angst on these little shoulders of mine. But with romantic markers like “the oldest living city on earth” and”spiritual capital of blessed India” under its belt, I could only imagine the inspiration philosophers, poets, and writers got just walking those dirt paved, winding streets. And I wanted to be part of that company, so off I went with my notebook under my arm and my mind ready to be stirred.

And this place was nothing short of beautiful. Much like the rest of India, Varanasi decided to kick the idea of an organized grid system for streets, and instead chose to lay out the roads much in the same way a tangled ball of yarn would look like on the carpet.

A mess. A beautiful, frustrating mess.

You’re forced to walk these intricately winding roads and constantly end up exploring more than you bargained for since of a wrong turn here and most certainly there. You find yourself backtracking, then backtracking your backtracks… and then vaguely (and somewhat desperately) grasping at landmarks you might have passed until you start figuring our the rhyme and reason to the madness. The streets themselves look more like tight alleys, with sand and dirt acting as roads and cows lazily walking with you to your next restaurant or trinket store. There’s as much cow dung on the ground as flip flops walking it, and though you would think it’s gross you oddly start getting used to it. After five weeks in India I barely notice them as I skip over the plops with my dupata over my nose, affectionately patting a cow on the rump as I pass.

If you want to read more about my time in Varanasi, head over to my tumblr HERE!
 photo indiav377_zpsecc99168.jpg photo indiav355_zpsce1b3f83.jpg photo indiav405_zps591a4652.jpg photo indiav361_zps7250ab24.jpg photo indiav364_zps1190c226.jpg
Here you can see the Indians bathing in the river!
 photo indiav382_zps99b48bbf.jpg photo indiav404_zpsd676dcfd.jpg photo indiav475_zpsf616a943.jpg photo indiav507_zpsf0135c79.jpg photo indiav419_zpsf67feda9.jpg
A Holy Man
 photo indiav437_zpsec84cb5a.jpg
 photo indiav427_zps037ff902.jpg
The Holy Men we drank 7up with haha
 photo indiav435_zpsa60683dd.jpg

PS- Use code MAYFLOWERZ for 20% off of anything in my store. Check it out HERE!

______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

33 comments :

  1. I'm sure it's not quite the same, but when we visited Venice, we were always lost! There streets made no sense and I felt like instead of a grid pattern it was more triangular.

    Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can actually feel the heat coming off these pictures. I'm just curious how your accommodations were when you were there. Did you have a shower? I'm the worst traveler on the planet so I obviously think of these things lol

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing photos, love to explore India someday:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are incredible photos! (:

    -theresa
    collaredblouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am back from my "break" and I find all this and a new blog design (?...or my losing it).

    These pictures are so colorful. Makes my environment seem so bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! I would love to travel more!

    Alicia
    Lattes & Lacee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ! x

    Have fun there :) :) a bit jealous here bahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your blog, every your new post makes me happy!
    And of cause I like this pics!

    xx
    Christina Klein
    http://bychristina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marlen, thank you for your lovely and kind comment. I really enjoyed reading it :) The women in India look so colourful. Definetely an inspiration for summer ;)

    xx
    Bree
    me-travelleroftheworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are so gorgeous! The colours are wonderful, and what you've written really takes your reader on this voyage with you. I scrolled down and took a look at the Taj Mahol photos too ... What a place. And that snake charmer!

    You must have really had a life-altering time on this exotic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, LOVELY photos!

    I've been to Varanasi but didn't get to explore as I was just visiting family.

    Your pictures make me want to go back!

    Halima
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! How I wish to visit India too! Maybe someday..:)
    Thanks for your comment on http://ayoungdreamcatcher.blogspot.com/ !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not very good at walking up and down winding roads, but it seems worth it haha!
    So beautiful!
    You should definitely watch The Fall - my friends who have been to India watch it and are always like "oh I've been there... and there"

    :)
    sabrina
    http://polkadottedpearl.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Breathtaking. I can just feel the atmosphere from these captures!
    Have a lovely weekend :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm absolutely in love with your wanderlust chronicles! Just followed your blog :) Thank you for such nice comment in mine! I have to admit I am suffering from envy after watching such awesome photos and travelling! Great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous pictures! Loved this post :)

    xo,
    Jamie

    http://inspirationlush.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You´re right this looks like a peaceful place and so colorful too! I´v e never been to Inida, maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are absolutely beautiful! I've always wanted to visit India, everyone I know who's been has said the same as you, that it has this kind of 'spirit' to it that's like no other place in the world. It sounds like a wonderful place to get lost for a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photos are fantastic, as is the piece of writing. I really would love to visit India some day.. some day when I have enough money to do it comfortably. I want to drink 7Up with holy men!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow great photos of India! I've been wanting to go

    <3 Kelly's Kouture

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing pictures! I'll visit your tumblr :)
    About your comment, thank's so much! I think I'll make my own flower crown, thank's to your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. absolutely stunning photography & words to match the beauty you have captured, it was almost as if i was right there with you.
    The colors are stunning, what a bright and vibrant world they have created for themselves, beauty is all around. I have a friend who is working in Chennai, it would be wonderful to visit also, to experience the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful photos and I love your description of Varanasi. I have never been to India, but the day is getting closer when I will. Getting lost and then finding things you didn't know you would is half of the fun of travel isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos, I was enjoying every one!

    xxx
    Veronika

    www.goldandblackk.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. "my mind ready to be stirred" I just love the way you write! You have a really good grasp on writing, and they compliment your pretty photography so well. :)

    The roads sound fun, but almost a little stressful. I guess it's one of those pick a path and go with it situations... Never really know where it will end, but the adventure in itself is fun and different each time :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are captivating and timeless photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. your pictures are amazing! I've always wanted to go to india! it's such a majical place! and you define it perfectly "A mess. A beautiful, frustrating mess." I couldnt agree more! :)
    You have a great blog btw! love your little world!

    ReplyDelete
  29. these photos are incredible! What an interesting place to visit. :)

    itsrainingblueumbrellas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. love all the people sitting on the steps! so cute and fun!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>