I'm a Sloth, and a Chilly One at That

May 25, 2013

 photo MayBlog068_zps342c9e8a.jpg photo MayBlog059_zpsc5b0b940.jpg  photo MayBlog069_zps3827499f.jpg
My move to Seattle is getting CRAZY close- it's in five days! So while that huge change is right around the corner, I've been milking my "lazy day" opportunities for all that they're worth.

My days have been going as follows: wake up at 11am and run downstairs in my jammies for some Cheerios. Park myself in front of the couch and flip channels til I land on Lifetime, and then continue to endure painful commercials of Christian Mingle dating sites while I pour my cereal into a big ol' salad bowl and start to munch. Somewhere in there I grab a small bag of Doritos and then go back to watching marathons of Will & Grace  and commercials of Brooke Shields' failing career on Army Wives. It’s riveting stuff.

On top of that I tend to nest within those hours, so by the time my mom comes home she’s welcomed with the sight of her daughter splayed out on the couch with one foot (unsocked) on the coffee table and the other foot (socked) trying to grab the remote on the floor.  In the mean time, fruit snacks and chip wrappers litter the floor around the couch like the impenetrable walls of the fort. We make eye contact and I usually shift around guiltily while trying to nonchalantly hide with my elbow the most recent Mac n’ Cheese stain on my shirt.

Those hellos are always awkward.

They always seem to start and end with the threat of a hose on her part.

I mean…I could be into it.
 photo MayBlog064_zpsd40e2066.jpg
 photo MayBlog054_zps7348b132.jpg
And this past week Chicago has been quite fickle weather wise, going from 85 degrees that's got me sweating at home in my underwear a la India, to nosediving back down to the 50's and making me unpack all my winter clothes (typical). But I'm not complaining- it let me take the layers out for one last joy ride! I've been seeing a lot of girls play with neck scarves lately, and I definitely wanted to join in. My first attempt with it was to tie it into a bow under my collar to give the outfit a little retro pop. Anyone have any other ideas how to use them?

Also, I borrowed this skirt from Rachel over at Floral Prints and Common Sense, who happens to be an amazing illustrator with equally amazing outfits. Go check her out ;)

Hat- UO
Sweater- thrifted
Neck Scarf- Banana Republic (recent)
Skirt- borrowed from Rachel of Floral Prints and Common Sense
Booties- Macys

                             ______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________


31 comments :

  1. Your mornings sound interesting. Mine's are boring. I have to get up early and go to college. No time for anything.

    I really like what you did with the scarf, and a lovely skirt as well. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your outfit and these pictures! :D Great post!

    X Valérie
    scribblesofvalerie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh.....that is hilarious! Milk, milk away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mornings start with Cheerios too - I only wish they carried on in the fashion that yours do!! I think your scarf looks pretty tied around your collar :) I've seen people tie their scarf onto their bag which I think is sweet too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love with your outfit! Super super cute! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that hat! It's so stylish and cute. I just found your blog and I adore it! So vintage-y like mine! Keep it going, girl. (:

    What are you going to Seattle for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This outfit is super cute with the fun layering going on. I love the scarf tied in a bow like that. I need to utilize my scarves more often! These boots and your hat look great together too! It's outfit posts like these that make me sad that I won't be able to layer without extreme discomfort for the next 5ish months.
    Also your days sound pretty fantastic to me and very similar to my own (especially last summer). Sometimes you just have to be on the couch all day. It's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're moving to SEATTLE?!!!!!!! You're so much closer to me now! HAHA I LIKE IT. I LIKE IT A LOT. P.S. I want to come over and spend some lazy days with you...they sound like so much fun! Yay for your last layer hoorah:)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the feeling of those awkward hellos! Seems like you are having a good time :)
    Love,
    Dany

    bluebellsandowls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like with you with the weather - I will enjoy the cold because I know it might be the last time for the year that I will get it! I hope to visit or move to Chicago one day -I've never been!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that sweater!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I love how you styled it! Chartreuse, the miracle color! It seems to go with errthang. Glad you're enjoying those lazy days (mmm doritos).

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good will and grace marathon :)

    and I love your skirt! It's perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you didn't have layers Marlen, I'd be wondering what happened! So yes, enjoy the weather ;)
    Although I'm curious to see what you'd put together and how you would layer if it grew reaaaaally hot.
    I love your hat and fun borrowed skirt! You work everything into your wardrobe so wonderfully.
    Haha, and you did make me laugh when I pictured you sprawled on the couch, one sock on, the other off. Glad to know I'm not the only one who uses her feet to pick up things like remotes... ;)
    Thank you for that lovely and insightful comment on my last post. You're absolutely right about those "What ifs" piling in...after that coffee with P, they popped up again. The most haunting one? "What if I'll never find someone like him again?" Then I realized - hopefully I won't! I want someone with a lot of his characteristics...but someone more suited for me, just like you said :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  15. HA, you've pretty much just described my day whenever I get the chance to take a day off! I hope you enjoy Seattle!
    I also love you outfit! The sweater/skirt combo is a good mix for these strange weathered Spring days!
    Best,
    Sapir
    thesapphirequeen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. ugh, honestly, you make THE BEST color combinations. while I tend to stick to normal/uninteresting combinations…you make THE best color choices. and how exciting! the move to Seattle should be very very exciting! I've always wanted to visit!

    your lazy days sound like so much fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colour of your sweater - what a gem!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  18. The skirt is really cute! Ooh, exciting, good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this outfit to pieces. Seriously. The scarf with that hat? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These pictures are SO pretty! I love how you styled Rachel's skirt. Good luck with the move, that's so exciting!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, Marlen, your writing always cracks me up! I just love how effortlessly I can read through your posts. You have SUCH good writing skills, for real. Love that bit about hiding your macaroni and cheese stains... you're precious.

    Gosh, this entire outfit, aahhh! I wish I could pull it off. I love the color of that sweater and how the belt kind of mimics the belt-thing on your hat and and the scaaaarf, the scarf! You look super stylish, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, moving to Seattle, just found out :)
    Nice city!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh adorale look! I love all the colors and also little details: hat, scarf.. Must start using those more, now I mainly accessorize with jewelry and bag. :)

    Indie by heart

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for moving! I didn't realize that you are living in Chicago - I'm currently in Elgin for internship training, so not too far. By the way, your skirt is just so adorable!

    Good luck moving!



    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. cute outfit and good luck on your move. how exciting! and enjoy having some fun lazy days - i'm jealous :)
    -- jackie @ jade and oak
    -- jewelry giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always feel so ashamed when I have those days. haha!

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah, well you're the best-dressed sloth out there, then! Loving the print on the skirt and the hat looks amazing. And the scarf and denim collar peeking out are such nice touches! Enjoy the last few days of lounging before the big move! :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. you are such a wonderful writer, I loved when you wrote that on tumblr & love hearing it on here (w/ a few slight changes if I remember correctly mac n cheese was doritos haha). such a funny story and well written that i could really picture it! anywho, enjoy your days off while you can, that sounds amazing! i dont remember my last day like that. i've been using hoses a lot to survive the heat around here actually because we're crazy enough to not turn the AC on yet when it's 88 degrees inside but anyway enough jaber, i love rachel's skirt on you!
    My blog: Cuddly Cacti
    My E-Shop: Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  29. First of all, thank you for commenting in my blog xo Now let me just say that I adore your style! It's genius to add that little neck scarf, not to even mention colors matching perfectly. Good job done!

    Much love,

    www.zerxzastyle.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/zerxza

    ReplyDelete
  30. cute skirt! and how exciting that you are moving! x

    iampolkadots.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>