Blogging Babes: The Braided Bandit

May 18, 2013

 photo maybe_zps62a3b383.jpg
BLOG| TWITTER| FACEBOOK| STORE

Even though we've never met, Hannah is definitely one of my best friends in the blogging world and I was pretty much ready to bully her into this segment if need be. A fellow floral crown weaver, a lover and curator of vintage, and a girl with a sweet, quirky sense of style, I am very excited to introduce her to you! So without further ado....

  1. When was the first time you started poking around vintage?
    First of all, I think it could be partially hereditary in my case! My mom's mom was perhaps the thriftiest person to ever walk this planet, and she passed that on to my mom, who then passed it on to me!  In high school, there was a thrift store that I passed on my way home from school that I loved stopping in.  Then, I went to school in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for my first year of college which was filled with a ton of history and amazing antique stores!  Also, I majored in Environmental Policy, so it was really a passion for recycling and sustainability combined with my love of cute clothes that eventually led to my love of vintage!  
     Unlike a lot of people who sell vintage, I am actually not a big history buff or anything of the sort.  I have been slowly collecting knowledge about different eras and styles of clothing throughout the past three years.  It's actually quite daunting how much there is to learn! A more recent love has been learning how to alter a lot of the pieces I find for my shop to make them more up to date and wearable for the modern day gal, while still keeping the piece's stories and history in tact!  I look for my favorite details like unique collars, fun prints, or pretty color palettes as a basis for what I buy, but now keep in mind that lots of frumpier pieces have lots of future potential with just a bit of tailoring! The hunt is by far my favorite part!


2. What has been the cutest date you've ever been on...and do you remember what you wore?
So, this is less of a favorite date and more of a whole day, but I am using it anyway.  This past year, my boyfriend came with my family to Hawaii.  Most of the time we were all together as a big group, but on New Years Day he and I got to sneak off on our own.  We were staying on the island of Kauai and set off down the road with our backpacks in search of this elusive secret beach we heard rumor of.  Our first stop was to a hotel a few miles down the road to lounge on their amazing panoramic balcony and take in the view.  After snapping some pictures, we headed back out to try to find secret beach.  We shimmied between some parking lots and condos and found a dirt path- that led straight down the side of a cliff!  What started off to be a few cements steps and what used to be a metal railing quickly turned into a slippery dirt slope with rope tied between some poles to hang onto.  
     This is probably a good time to mention what I was wearing - a vintage striped maxi dress and flip flops, not the best for a hiking adventure!  After about fifteen minutes of slowly making our way down, we couldn't believe it- a gorgeous tropical secret beach with not a soul in sight! We ran around frolicking and yelling like idiots to have found this hidden paradise and to have it to ourselves for the day! We hid under a huge tree canopy during a rain storm, snacked on dried mangoes, and reveled in a great day together and the start of a new year!


3. Who's your style crush right now?
Oh gosh this is such a hard one! Spending so much time in the blogging world, I am CONSTANTLY finding new style crushes and inspiration from other gals.  A pretty constant style crush for me is Steffy from Steffy's Pros and Cons - I love her vintage and girly style and her photographer boyfriend takes amazing pictures.  I also have to say I have been loving all of YOUR styling Marlen for your new Bear and Twine Vintage shop! :)


4. Have you ever had a Pinterest DIY go terrible wrong? What was it?
I was pretty late to the pinterest bandwagon, but about a year or so ago I did attempt to make my own necklace holder out of a found branch after seeing a few versions around the internet.  I actually really like how it turned out, but a few weeks later the branch started growing weird orange curly sap things off of it... Needless to say there were no macro close-up shots of that DIY!


Hahah and that, my fellow readers, is one of my favorite bloggers ever, Hannah from The Braided Bandit! Make sure you give her blog a peek :)

PS- Don't forget to enter my $35 Lost in Drawers Giveaway! Who can say no to new dresses?

______________________________________

Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

15 comments :

  1. SO nice to read, love her answers!

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, she sounds cool! Definitely checking out her blog. I have less of a romantic story about that same secret beach on Kauai actually... Haha!

    Last summer, just a week before my now boyfriend went on vacation to Hawaii for 2 freaking months, we went camping with our study association and fell in love. So I was left home frustrated for 2 months, knowing I was missing out on an amazing summer with him and when he got back home we would have to go study again... He later told me about that secret beach he went to on his own and spend the night sleeping under the stars and showed me tons of photos. He does want to take me there in a view years, though!

    XX Red Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this series - and the braided bandit is the best name ever!

    Going to check her blog... and her 'style crushes' now!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know her blog and I like it! She has such a wonderful style it´s a really good idea to introduce her :)

    Wish you a wonderful rest of the weekend!

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I just adore Hannah! She's such a lovely lady, and even though I haven't met her in person before, I just adore her personality. :D

    That's hilarious about the orange sap stuff from the tree--it must have been the way the branch decided to dry out of something. Kinda gross, kinda stinks that it ruined her poor little project, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Hannah is fantastic! Love this interview you did with her Marlen - great questions, and she writes in such a similar style to you. Witty and hilarious :)
    Love her favorite date/day!

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally see what you mean! You guys both have similar style yet it's still each your own. Love her bright and fun style and it's cool getting to know a blogger. I will have to check her blog out :)

    http://aforcethatcanshaketheworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww hooray, thank you Marlen! All these comments are so super sweet too! I LOVE how you did that awesome collage! I must learn how to make those! I really also like how you are changing up the questions based on the person, these were so fun to answer! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend girl!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww yay! I LOVE Hannah's style as well and def would say she's one of my blogger bffs as well, I'm pretty sure she is just an absolute sweetheart to everyone whose path crosses hers! The story about the deserted beach sounds like a romance scene in a movie and fun to hear how her love of vintage started, I don't think I knew she loved thrifting so long ago. oh and the tree diy made me laugh too! great series Marlen!
    My blog: Cuddly Cacti
    My E-Shop: Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, that's a great name! And ffft, that Pinterest story is actually kind of amazing. Definitely not something to close-up on... She looks like she's got a pretty interesting style.

    xo
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heehee! Such a fun interview and I like the questions. Hannah is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A secret beach in Hawaii? I can't beat that one. So adorable and romantic! Loved reading this, Hannah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely feature! Her style is so eclectic and beautiful :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>