Jodhpur, India Part II

Apr 25, 2013

 photo f39cbf3f-0553-4d67-893c-8e3c83d7f9b9_zps310141dc.jpg



 photo 19889ccb-a9e8-4cd7-9e1a-04bd0deedab1_zps683e3f91.jpg photo 1e207965-44a2-4625-977c-347167c9288d_zpsb5cf102c.jpg
That sucker was SO hard to keep on- I don't know how the ladies there do it
 photo 5621195d-afa4-4125-8a2b-8612af669873_zpsc5be9b79.jpg photo 6b7c4f17-e5b8-47fb-94cc-28aafa86d398_zps83eb3222.jpg
The Mehranghar Fort- the biggest fort in all of India!  Seriously, I felt like I was walking around King's Landing in there. It had intricate palaces behind its walls, sandstone gates scarred with cannon ball wounds, winding steps that led you to arched windows and secret balconies, and the red hand prints of the fallen kings' wives that killed themselves with fire to join their husbands in death.
 photo 33368f6e-8ffd-4100-b308-c477061dfcb6_zps61d49245.jpg
 photo 6bbaa157-0f9b-4cd8-b11b-f5c97b4890e2_zps6f650816.jpg photo 7d61f229-c08d-40d6-afb4-2e57ba5aa637_zpsf992f78a.jpg
What the royal kings were carried around in when they went into town. Snazzy.
 photo 4e08b0d7-a8e3-4770-a0e3-974afe3a1170_zps8028956e.jpg photo 667dc3e2-814f-4617-ac5e-3263b9207fdb_zps1c3818bc.jpg photo 4b2270c1-473c-44a7-9ee3-7a424378ba00_zps7f1ff1d6.jpg
A man smoking opium
 photo 0a3009c6-fd7a-4b1c-9b59-80756f2abf90_zps143f1ff5.jpg photo e18eb3b4-9c84-4644-8b06-e54bda87b4c9_zps102bb51b.jpg photo 01fd92e1-29b8-43a8-a3ae-10642fe3a2be_zpsf09e3587.jpg photo 259f2eca-21ac-4b59-878b-9b5f81ea04b0_zpsb5877f0b.jpg photo a9eb9b8b-c845-4d8e-a29c-e74ceea0d5df_zps1f88442c.jpg
After wandering through the fort for half a day (it was that big!) we mozied our way down back to the city and explored its winding, blue streets some more.
 photo 16c41f26-c009-4d8b-a5dd-897b3f19aed6_zps03b730e4.jpg photo 400626b1-9b89-44ee-a0f7-74b410ca9daf_zps019a489e.jpg photo c6f93c59-cc18-4eb4-9af7-0ca882cf6b16_zpsaacc7ee0.jpg photo 62c6b966-1f7f-4811-94cf-b0ea704af905_zps181728bc.jpg photo 4c319ce5-6da2-4eff-bd88-36d65897ca8a_zps4248a06a.jpg photo 0a36e9ca-34bb-455f-8921-ad5fc2dd1067_zps71cc4695.jpg photo 3b260d45-4fab-43f2-a91f-a29c0122af0e_zps6d40bd92.jpg photo 97d10334-46f7-4661-b798-54b268aca085_zps8a3acf09.jpg
Mmmm, Indian pastries! Everything had honey in it, and that tin foil was supposed to be edible. I didn't question it.

My FAVORITE part of this stop, though, was what happened randomly one weekday night. Me and Marc were hanging out in our room when all of a sudden we heard this loud clash of drums and cymbals coming from outside. Cocking my head, I frowned and asked if that was maybe someone's TV. Marc just rolled his eyes at me and pointed at our flip flops. We were going outside to investigate.

Just as we pushed outside our gate and into the dark street outside, a boy rounded the corner excitedly and put down a firework not 10 feet away from us. Grinning in our direction, he lit it and ran passed us.  We barely had a moment to process what just went down when it shot up into the air with a fizz and blew up into a fistful of stars, its light warring with the ones already suspended in the sky.  In the pitch dark street the light was dazzling, and I laughed as I watched the burst seer the sky and then melt away.  We heard the rumble of drums and trumpets again, closer this time, and a parade came rounding the corner and right into us.  A wedding parade, to be exact.  
Men dressed up in white suits with huge shoulder pads heavy and dripping with pink and orange sequins, and orchestra hats with fat pink and orange feathers spilled onto the street with their instruments, momentarily as surprised to see us as we were them.  They swayed their trumpets in time to the lively beat, and as the lot of them came pouring through we spotted a white horse at the very end of the procession.
And on it: a knight dressed in a white suit with a helmet and veil covering his front, completely made out of flowers. Think of how a Muslim woman wears a burka; now imagine that woven out of white cascading flowers, like something you come across in the pages of a fairy tale.  
It was the groom, riding through the tight winding streets of Jodhpur to his bride, lighting up the sky with colored bursts of light and filling the narrow streets with song till he finds her.
Like I said: This city. Socks. Charmed. Off.

If you want to read more about my India trip, check out my TUMBLR!
______________________________________
Follow Messages on a Napkin on:

BLOGLOVIN • FACEBOOK • PINTEREST • TWITTER •  MY SHOP!
______________________________________

52 comments :

  1. Wow Marilyn! Amazing post.. And I loved your version of an Indian wedding parade, which we call a 'baraat' in Hindi!
    It's interesting to read a foreigner's point of view on Indian traditions and culture! And again, you have capruted the real India here, so beautifully!
    Kudos!!

    risingcolors.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, I've been there too! Everything is blue innit.

    Witnessing real Indian wedding must be a wonderful experience! I didnt get to witness it while I travelled there for two months.

    I LOVE Jaisalmer, infact it was the place I enjoyed the most during my travels. I think because of camel riding (I ride horses so no pain for me and my poor friend, Hamish had painful balls at the end!) and the desert, which was a very very new experience for me. The most memorable I guess.

    And darling, you look lovely! Au natural is always the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the colours, textures, the intricacies - absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word...that is so amazing! Reading about the wedding and watching the groom ride through the city made my day :D

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! sounds like an incredible experience.

    lo and behold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gees these are gorgeous pics , india looks amazing.

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this photos are so great. sounds like so much fun. even the fireworks. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WANT THOSE SHOES. Ok I want to do this whole trip, but i'll settle for the shoes... for now...

    <3becky
    www.loosefromthezoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy story and (as usual) stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The details of that fortress are amazing. I love the gold detailing on the ceiling especially.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the second blog post I have seen on India this past week and wow it makes me want to visit there asap! It looks like you had a fabulous time :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a lot of fun! I'm loving the architecture of the buildings! :)

    xx Denysia Yu
    http://thatlaitgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so lucky to have been somewhere so beautiful. I love your pictures.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love that second to last picture!
    Like I would buy a print of of you...NOT kidding. No really, hit me up.

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also, the wedding parade with the fire works reminds me of when I lived in Guatemala. Every time it was someone's birthday someone would light off firecrackers outside of their window at 5 am. At first it just made me mad, but after awhile I would just laugh about it...and then not go back to sleep. haha.

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  16. India looks beautiful! Would love to go there someday. Thanks for visiting my blog! Glad you liked the necklace and Brina Box!
    xx Allie | A Song to Pass the Time

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG that does look like something out of GOT, very mythical indeed. Damn these photos are charming the socks of me, can't imagine what would happen to physically be there. What an awesome adventure!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. holy crap! the last part...amazing!!!!!! i've never imagined such things, it's really awesome you get to witness all this stuff!! i have so many questions!!! but i'll save them for when i'm planning a trip to India ;) what a beautiful beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this post and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    Kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG I WANT TO GO THERE! I love India awwh nice pictures loveee all these photos :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos! I wish I can go there someday. BTW, thanks for the comment on my blog. Would you like to follow each other?

    www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aaaaah, dreamy. Need I say more? <3
    Have a nice weekend :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this set of photos, looks like you had a great time!
    xx
    tiny-adventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey darling!
    It is as usual so nice to go over all your photographs!
    You're so brave to fight against the heat! But it's worth, the landscapes are stunning :)
    And I do not think I would do better to put that traditional scarf around my head, can't even put one to dry my own hair!
    haha, you're cute :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such an amazing trip and experience! Wonderful pics!
    xx
    Quiestinquiestout

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, I hope I get to visit India one day, it looks amazing. Fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great pictures and post again dear!
    When I was in India I took a round trip in the North of India and Nepal soo I did went to many places!
    India:
    Delhi-Jaipur-Fatehpur-Sikri-Agra-Gwalior-Orcha-Khajuraho-Varanasi-Shivpatinagar
    Nepal:
    Chitwan -Pokhara -Bhaktapur-Patan-Kathmandu
    Cant wait to get back to India and Nepal! I hope you still having a blast in India! Love to see and read your posts!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. That fort is beautiful, I'd kill to see it in person. My favourite film was shot there, The Fall. The view must be fantastic!
    Haha the incident at night must have been funny, like being sudden guests to a wedding parade :)
    xo
    sabrina
    http://polkadottedpearl.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - Jodhpur looks gorgeous, and the wedding parade sounds amazing! I've always wanted to visit India, this has made me want to go even more X

    ReplyDelete
  30. You visit amazing places! These posts and pictures are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such beautiful, colorful photos.
    What I wouldn't do for all those shoes!
    xo Annie
    newenglandromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, those blue buildings are gorgeous!! And I love your little portraits of the people. Sounds like an amazing night!!

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing photos! And how cool is it that you got to see a wedding parade! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post!!The photos are amazing!!
    Charming India :)

    I nominated you for the Versatile Award!!!!You can read about it here
    http://thekkfashion.blogspot.gr/2013/04/versatile-award.html#more

    Greetings from Greece

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow, India seems so colorful, the pictures really fascinated me. And wow, the drums and all you heard, so great! India seems like a happy country.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amazing photos.
    xoxo
    Christy

    http://www.am2pmchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. This city is so vibrant, filled with colours/contrast. Love all ur photos so much. VERY beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So beautiful!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness! I love traveling and this city just looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing pictures, lady! I would be charmed too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, that place looks beautiful!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow your photos look amazing, such a beautiful place with lots of colour x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for your sweet comment!
    Edible tin foil? Never heard of that, sounds intriguing!

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  44. India is so gorgeous! I want to go there so bad,heard so many good things about India!

    http://www.carlysscloset.blogspot.com/

    Carly's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  45. rajasthan is mesmeriing.. ive been to jaipur the pink city and there was soo much to see..

    ReplyDelete
  46. These pictures are beyond gorgeous, wow. It just looks so amazing. The wedding parade sounds truly amazing btw.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love reading about your travels. Most of the time reading about other people's trip are boring photo montages, but I like how yours always have such interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  48. that doorway is incredible. I mean, so is the entire for and I love your pictures of the outside, but that one w/ the chipping away paint & the perfectly chiseled door really does it. And the blue walls everywhere in the town are so fun. The parade though, wow, that really does sound like from a movie; good thing you went and checked it out! oh and i hope you got a pair of those shoes!
    http://dusanabotswana.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk, talk, talk!

f16bf93391' type='text/javascript'/>